Monday, December 1, 2008

General Orders No. 8

OK... I'll admit it. I love Google. I love searching for information and images using Google's search engine, I love making and sharing maps using GoogleMaps, I love looking for bargains using Froogle, I love downloading or reviewing scans of books using GoogleBooks, and now I love Google for giving me the change to share a document among multiple users without having to send it back-and-forth by email. Thank you... thank you... thank you Google!

Right now we're working on a grant proposal for the Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission. Jim, Bill, and I keep emailing version after version of the same document to one another. GoogleDocs would make our job so much more efficient. GoogleDocs would allow us to work on one version and avoid a whole bunch of confusion. An added bonus is that the document is available from anywhere. I'm really looking forward to trying this out soon.

What will the folks at Google think of next? Someone said to me the other day that the "newness" of the internet hasn't really given people an opportunity to figure out the best way to use it. One example of this is online media which hasn't figured out that an online news source isn't just a digital version of a newspaper but demands an entirely new philosophical base. If anyone is going to shape how we use the web I think it will be all those geniuses at Google.

No comments: