Wednesday, November 26, 2008

General Orders No. 5

I'm thinking that some folks out there are going to be soon challenged to a duel. At the urging of my girlfriend, Karri, we joined Facebook together. Within 12-hours of being a member I saw photographs of people I haven't seen in 20 years, was openly mocked on my "Wall" about the image from the VHS collection I posted to represent me, and realized that I have more virtual friends than real ones.

All joking aside, social networking seems like it could have significant benefits to the Virginia Historical Society. By collecting virtual friends, the VHS can instantly communicate with a number of people and, through them, a whole host of other people. Considering the limited resources for advertising and the short time it takes to update a profile page with new information, the exposure on-line that the VHS could receive seems like it would multiply in cyberspace and reach a good many people. Plus, it's FREE. That is unless you can't get the person in charge of updating the profile to stop looking for old boy/girlfriends and schoolmates.

Now... time to 'poke' someone...

No comments: